High Pest Alert!
German Cockroach Prevalence During Summer Months
"They can sense humidity in the air," says Wayne White, Board Certified at American Pest. “When it’s warm and steamy, German cockroach populations explode.”
The tendency German cockroaches to thrive when heat and humidity are at their worst means that facilities of all types are at an increased risk of infestation during an extended warm temperature period. This small, light brown to tan cockroach species typically infests kitchens and bathrooms, but will get comfortable anywhere food, water and shelter are present.
Intolerant of the cold, German cockroaches feed on human food, pet food, toothpaste, soap, glue, and many other typical items found among facilities like yours. They are most active at night—retreating to their hiding spots during the day—making it easy to miss the size of a significant infestation. If seen in high numbers during the day, one can expect a troublesome infestation that may take weeks to months to eliminate. Not only are German cockroaches difficult to eradicate, but they also contaminate food with their waste and saliva which contains bacteria that can cause food poisoning, diarrhea, staph infections, and asthma.
Why Are They Infesting My Business?
They may have been brought into your business inside grocery bags, cardboard boxes, drink cartons and other infested items that have not been inspected
They found harborage near a source of food and water, such as near sinks, behind cabinets, under stoves and refrigerators, or manufacturing equipment
Cockroaches often travel between units through wall voids, plumbing, and electrical fixtures
Cluttered, hot and moist locations provide ample conditions for cockroaches to thrive
What Can My Team Do Now?
Controlling cockroaches is a challenge for anyone and beer, wine, and spirit producers are no exception. Follow these simple tips to help reduce the risk of infestations in your facilities, keeping your customers happy and pest-free this summer:
- Encourage your employees to inspect items before bringing them into your facilities whether it be offices, tasting rooms, or other shared spaces. This includes food products and shipments of equipment. Items purchased second-hand are especially at risk for German cockroaches.
- Make sure that tasting rooms and equipment rooms have limited clutter and that food and other materials are being stored properly in sealed containers.
- Ensure that all areas of the facility are kept clean from spilled food residue, pet food, and human or pet waste. Pay close attention to kitchens, bathrooms and tasting rooms.
- Inspect kitchens and bathrooms regularly for signs of cockroaches. Insect monitors can be placed under sinks, in cabinets and in bathroom areas to monitor for signs of activity.
- Ensure plumbing and electrical fixtures have been properly sealed with caulk or grout.
Here Is What American Pest Can Do:
We understand pest problems related to the industry and take many variables into consideration for each unique company.
|We will inspect the facilities for common pest harborage and identify infestations.|
|We may use a combination of application methods or products to ensure that cockroaches and other pests are controlled within your buildings. Our materials present little to no risk to humans and are only used in areas where cockroaches are most active at night.|
|Recurring inspection and treatment by a pest professional keeps your facility protected and keeps pest populations out.|
Contact Me About Pest Control
Fill out the form and recieve feedback in less then 5 minutes. For immediate service please call or chat.
Pest problems? Give us a call for your free site evaluation. (855) 212-3677