A Little Too Close to Home
A common nuisance, the mosquito, can be the deadliest thing that you have to think about today. These all too common pests are a threat that we accept too readily. We often can be heard saying things like, “Well it was all good, until the mosquitoes started eating us alive!”, or “Nah, I don’t need bug spray. A few skeeter bites aren’t as bad as that stuff!” When we couldn’t be more wrong.
At the end of August, 2015 three cases of West Nile Virus were confirmed here in Maryland. That’s a little too close to home. That’s three people who were very sick from a simple mosquito bite. We tend not to give diseases that insects and pests carry too much thought. They aren’t a big deal, right? Wrong.
So how do you stop a flying and potentially illness bearing insect you say? Well, unfortunately, you don’t stop them. You can, however, significantly reduce the number of them frequenting your property and by following a few tips you can lessen the amounts of actual bites that you have.
To protect yourself and your loved ones from getting mosquito bites here are a few easy to follow tips:
- ALWAYS wear Deet containing insect repellents.
- Cover, cover, cover! Cover as much of your bare skin as possible with loose fitting, light colored clothing.
- Try to avoid going outside in the busy mosquito times of the day, like early morning and late afternoon into the evening.
- If you have to be outside for a long time, consider wearing an insect netting suit and/or head net.
- To prevent mosquitoes from finding easy places to breed and hide on your property, you can follow these quick steps around your home or business:
- Allow no standing water anywhere at any time. Mosquitoes lay their eggs in stagnant water.
- Inspect your gutter and all watershed systems and make sure that they are operating properly to keep water moving off from your property.
- Keep your lawn trimmed short. Mosquitoes find refuge in hiding from the heat of the sun in the longer cool grass.
- Repair or replace any damaged window or door insect screens.
Here at American Pest we know that keeping mosquitoes at bay is best done through the continued care of our Preferred Care Plus program. You see, not only do we treat for the existing mosquito presence that you currently have, we assist you in keeping them away in the future. This year-round service will control mosquitoes, plus more 30 common pests, including ticks, and will provide termite monitoring. It’s the complete package for pest control. If you haven’t been worried about mosquitoes or insects and their potential health dangers, don’t start now. The experts at American Pest are here to keep you and your family safe, contact us today to figure out the best plan for your needs.
Newsletter Sign Up
Form key: "e-newsletter-signup" does not match a valid form